20 April 2008

Skye's 1 Month Old!

Skye has officially graduated from newborn status to infant! And we've kept her alive for a whole month - quite the cause for celebration. I think I've turned into one of those moms who only talks about her baby and forgets about what is going on in the real world...I guess it's easy to do. These little creatures take up all of your time, thoughts and energy. Of course, some days are better than others. Coffee and I now share an almost spiritual bond. Some of the mums of Chelsea's classmates have been incredibly helpful - lending a hand, an ear, or picking up Chelsea for a play with their kids. The Australian Government is even more helpful, giving us the generous "baby bonus" to help pay for formula, nappies, and all the other essentials. I feel very supported by family, friends, and the health care system here. I know that Skye will get the care that she needs. Some of you know this already, but when Skye was born the doctor had a difficult time extracting her. The nerves in the right side of her neck were strained, leaving her with the condition Erb's Palsy. This is characterized by a contracted wrist and hand. We have had a couple visits with the doctors at the Royal Children's Hospital (free of charge), and Skye's condition has improved so much in the past month that they expect a full recovery. It can take as long as 2 years to get to the state she is already in, so we are absolutely thrilled. Her right hand is much more relaxed and the arm is almost as energetic as her left side. The doctor said that soon we will not be able to tell which was the affected side. Our little girl is a trooper!! I can't tell you how happy I am. Now I know that she will be able to do all the things that she wants to do and will not be held back by this current disability. OK, now on to the photos, which I suspect most of you are here for...








5 Comments:

At 12:13 pm , Blogger DeepMoz said...

You're telling me!! I always knew I wanted several kids, but good grief. Not that we're experts, but just get to the 2-3 month mark and things get better. Loden is so much more fun now that he's a bit older. Maybe one day we can all explore the reef together.

 
At 9:53 pm , Blogger Jenny said...

Hi. Just wanted to say Skye is lovely.
I have been reading your blog for awhile, so I thought I had better introduce myself.
I live in Sydney, and have 3 children. I work part time as a primary school teacher. Mmmmm... not much else to tell really.

 
At 5:55 am , Blogger CuzKatie said...

congrats on your beautiful baby girl! sorry I haven't responded sooner, my e-mail was messed up for a while. Welcome to the world of insomnia. I'm thinking she looks like her daddy? what are your thoughts? I am so proud of you! Being a mom is the most thankless job you'll ever do and it is all worth it and then some!I love the pictures! Keep them coming!

 
At 6:03 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi bernie, congrats on the baby! she is beautiful! Sorry I haven't responded sooner my computer was acting goofy for awhile. Welcome to the world of insomnia. You will learn to survive on as little sleep as possible. I am proud of you! I heard it was a rough pregnancy. Think you'll do it again? Of course you will! don't we all? Keep sending those pictures I love them! I hope you get back to the states before she'd 18. I'd love to see her!

 
At 7:17 pm , Blogger Jenny said...

Hello again. Thanks for signing my guestbook.
I think it gets easier each baby. They are pretty time consuming in their first few months.
Routine comes... I think no. 3 basically gets ignored (in a nice way - there were lots of cuddles when the others go to bed). They have to fit in.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home